The goal of this project is to quickly build small, cheap and
reliable Internet servers. It took us only 2 days to build
ours from scratch, including the software installation,
configuration, scripting, and making up this site which is hosted
on the server.
By small, we mean :
- only one 'U' (equals 1.75 in or 4.45 cm) thick ;
- half a 19" mounting rack, so that 2 servers can fit in the
rack side by side ;
- low depth : 37 cm (less than all racks).
By cheap, we mean :
- only salvage hardware, nearly null investment ;
- low power consuption (a few tens of watts) ;
- Internet services provided by free software only ;
- a 42U rack can host as much as 84 servers ;
- low TCO, due to the system's reliability.
By reliable, we mean :
- no mechanical parts inside, flash memory replaces
fragile hard disks ;
- easy to share power supplies to ensure high availability ;
- based on a reliable OS : Linux.